The words test and testing have many meanings:
- Testing (experimentation) is part of the scientific
method: A test is a comparison of an expectation with
an observation. The expectation must be known (written
down, sketched, enumerated, communicated, etc.) before
the observation is known; otherwise, the raw observation
does not qualify as an experiment. But, if the raw expectation
is made explicit, then it can become material for a hypothetical
explanation of the subject under study. A test differs
from a measurement, which is a comparison to a standard
- In manufacturing, quality assurance testing is a procedure
designed to test the functionality of the product under
potentially harmful conditions. This product is frequently
called the unit under test, or UUT. In semiconductor IC
final testing, the semiconductor device is frequently
referred to as the device under test or DUT. (Every memory
chip in the computer you are using to read this Wikipedia
has been tested at least twice by very expensive testing
equipment and testing programs. )
- In Cricket (sport), A Test Match is the original form
of cricket played. It stretches over 5 days. Test matches
are played with two 2 innings a side.
- In education, a test is used to measure students' performance,
knowledge or skills. This is called summative testing.
Formative testing is a test designed to aid learning by
diagnosing students' knowledge and skills thereby permitting
a suitable learning programme to be created.
- The River Test is a river in Hampshire, England.
- Test is also the professional wrestling name of Andrew
This article is licensed under the GNU
Free Documentation License. It uses material from the